The Kalofer Monastery of the Blessed Virgin is located in near to the town of Kalofer, 60 km north of Plovdiv.
According to a manuscript from 1863 Kalofer Nunnery of the Blessed Virgin was founded in 18th century by the monk Dorothey from Rila.
During the Turkish attacks in 1799 and in 1804 the monastery was destroyed, but in 1819 it was restored and a school for girls opened its doors here. Read more
The Kabile Monastery is located about one kilometer from the village of Kabile, 6 km from Yambol and 24 km from the town of Sliven.
In late antiquity (4-5c) Kabile was a great religious center, about a kilometer from this reserve there was a monastery during the reign of Constantine the Great.
The monastery possessed a healing spring, and the legend says that even Queen Helena sent her people to carry water from it. Later the Kabile Monastery was turned into nunnery, became Orthodox and was inhabited until the late 14th century. Read more
The Monastery of the Assumption in Izvor or Izvorski Manastir is located 2 km south of the village of Izvor, 9 km from the town of Dimovo and about 40 km from Vidin.
Legend has it that the Izvor Monastery is built in the 12th century by the Russian prince Izvor Tavorski.
After the fall of the Vidin Kingdom the monastery got plundered and destroyed by the Turks, almost all the monks were killed, and the survivors left the monastery in desolation. Read more
The Granitsa Monastery of St. Luke or Granishki Manastir lies at the foot of Osogovo Mountain, near the village of Granitsa, 8 km east of the town of Kyustendil.
The Monastery of St. Luke is established in the 10 century and according to a legend, here studied the famous Bulgarian St. Ivan Rilski.
In the 15th century the abbot of the monastery was Jacob, the father of the restorers of the Rila Monastery – Yoasaf, David and Theophanes, who were born in Granitsa. Read more
The Gorno Ezerovo Monastery of St. Mary is located between the neighborhoods Meden Rudnik and Upper Ezerovo in Bourgas near the village of Cherni Vrah.
According to the legend the building of the Monastery of St. Mary goes back to the 12 century.
The monastery was built near a former Thracian sanctuary of healing springs, each of which has a different chemical composition and medicinal properties. Read more