Category: Sightseeing

Vitosha Mountain

Sofia Vitosha MountainThe conveniently short distance to Vitosha montain is temptingly inviting for both locals and guests of Sofia with its great opportunities for practicing all snow sports in the winter as well as hiking, biking, paragliding in the summer. Despite of the industrial environment and the growing urbanization the mountain has still preserved its natural beauty, plant and animal species. There are two biosphere reserves. The highest peak is Cherni Vruh – 2290 m. Here is the longest cave in Bulgaria Duhlata – 17.5 km.  Read more

Church of St Nedelya

Church of St Nedelya The Church of St Nedelya /Tsurkva Sveta Nedelya/ with its huge dome is a typical example of Byzantine architecture. There has been a church here since medieval times, although the present building dates from the mid-nineteenth century.

The church was reconstructed and rebuild three times: in 1856 after an earthquake, in 1878 when the Russian architect Pomerantsev decided to rebuild it as a structure with five domes, and in 1925 after a terrorist bomb attack against the king when 123 people was killed but failing to harm the intended victims.

The church is 30 meter long and 15.5 meter wide. The highest point of the dome is 31 meter.  Read more

Church of St Sofia

Church of St SofiaThe Church of St Sofia/Tsurkva Sveta Sofia/ is next to Aleksander Nevski Church. Sitting in its shadow, this brown brick church is the second oldest building in Sofia. In the 2nd century this was the location of a Roman theater used for bloody public spectacles. Read more

Tsentralni Hali

Tsentralni HaliThe name of Tsentralni Hali (Central Food Halls)  comes from the famous Les Hales in Paris. It is built in 1909-1911 with more than 170 shops selling food.

Reopened in May 2000, after years of neglect and 3 years of restoration work, the Tsentralni Hali offers a clean, well-organised, modern version of the bazaar shopping experience. Read more

Tsar Palace

National gallery Tsar Palace SofiaNational Art Gallery

The  in the west wing of the former king’s palace, built in 1873 and after the Independence became a residence of the Bulgarian monarchs. The collection was started in 1892 but it pronounced as an independent entity.

It consists of more than 30 000 pieces of paintings, prints and sculptures with the emphasis of the works of the last two centuries. There are regular exhibitions of contemporary Bulgarian artists.  Read more