The first records about Ivaylovgrad date back to IX-X century when a fortress called Liutitsa was located there.
During the Ottoman Domination the village is called Ortakkyoi which means Common Village or Friends’ Village.
During the Ottoman Domination there is almost no information about the city. In the 20th century the city is integrated at first in the Turkish territory and then in the Greek one. In 1934 the city receives its current name.
Places to visit in Ivaylovgrad:
1. Armira Villa
2. Liutitsa Fortress
3. Aterenski Bridge (on the Armira river built in the late Middle Ages)
4. Kaleto (meaning The Fortress) and the Marble City
5. Ilieva niva Memorial Complex (the name means Ilia’s field) – next to Borino village
6. Ivaylovgrad Dam Lake
7. Luzdhanski Monastery „Sainth Constantine and Hellena” (about 2 km from the Ivaylovgrad neighbourhood called Ludzja)