The Monastery of the Assumption in Izvor or Izvorski Manastir is located 2 km south of the village of Izvor, 9 km from the town of Dimovo and about 40 km from Vidin.
Legend has it that the Izvor Monastery is built in the 12th century by the Russian prince Izvor Tavorski.
After the fall of the Vidin Kingdom the monastery got plundered and destroyed by the Turks, almost all the monks were killed, and the survivors left the monastery in desolation.
There are no concrete data about the monastery for the time of the Ottoman domination. In the mid 17th century the Izvor Monastery was restored on the initiative of the priest Sylvester. It was before called “Dry Streamlet” but after it reopened the people named it Izvorski (after the prince).
In 1915 the Izvor Monastery acquired the status of a nunnery. In 1923 the restoration of the church was completed. The Izvor Monastery has a bed capacity for 20 people, rooms with private bathroom and satellite TV. Monastery dining room is for 40 people.