The city of Panagyurishte is located in the Panagyurishte valley – on the Southern slopes of the Sredna Gora Mountain. It is situated 42 km from the city of Pazardzhik.
The place was populated a long time ago and pottery remnants, mounds and necropolises are being discovered all around. Two km on the South of the city the famous Panagyurishte gold treasure was discovered.
The name Panagyurishte was mentioned for the first time in 1576. During the Ottoman domination the city experiences a great economical and cultural grow.
The second cell school was created here. The city’s name is associated with Rayna Knyaginya (Rayna the Duchess) [a Bulgarian teacher and woman-partisan who sewed the rebel flag for the April uprising. In the day of the uprising she was waving it] and the rebel detachments for the April Uprising.
Close to the city the Oborishte district is situated where the first gathering of revolutionaries took place. The first magnet observatory on the Balkan Peninsula was built here.
Places to visit in Panagyurishte:
1. Rayna The Duchess’s House Museum
2. Oborishte Historical District
3. History Museum