The Patriarch Monastery of the Holy Trinity is situated in a beautiful countryside at the foot of the Arbanassi plateau about 6 km from Veliko Tarnovo and 1.5 kilometers from the village of Samovodene.
According to some researchers, the monastery was founded during the reign of Tsar Ivan Alexander by Theodosius of Tarnovo and Patriarch Evtimii. In 1375 Evtimii was elected patriarch in Tarnovo and since then the monastery is called Patriarchal.
The Holy Trinity Monastery became the center of the famous Tarnovo Literary School. Most of the spelling reforms and linguistic norms were established here. During the conquest of Tarnovo by the Ottomans, the Patriarch Monastery was pillaged and destroyed. In 15 -18 centuries it was governed by Walachian and Moldavian nobles. In the 19 century the monastery was plundered by Kırcaali and abandoned.
The Holy Trinity Monastery was restored in 1847. Since 1946, when the first nuns came, it had been officially turned into a nunnery. The farm buildings are to the north of the church and the entrance of the complex is from the southeast. In the western part of the yard are monastery buildings and the chapel of St. Evtimii of Tarnovo.
The entrance to the monastery is well-formed with a dome and painted with cherubs.
The Patriarchal Monastery of the Holy Trinity does not offer food and accommodation, but there are private rooms that can be rented in one of the many nearby hotels in Veliko Tarnovo and Arbanassi, where you can try traditional Bulgarian cuisine at good pubs and restaurants in old traditional Bulgarian style.