At the front are the monuments of the brothers Evlogi and Hristo Georgiev who have donated the land and the money for its construction.
Designed by the French architect Breansson, the building reached its completion in 1934. It spreads over 18 624 sq. m. with its 324 rooms.
The University itself starts in 1888 as the first school of higher education in Bulgaria.
Today it is the most prestigious educational and scientific center in the country offering 75 degree courses in humanities and sciences.