The Church of St Sofia/Tsurkva Sveta Sofia/ is next to Aleksander Nevski Church. Sitting in its shadow, this brown brick church is the second oldest building in Sofia. In the 2nd century this was the location of a Roman theater used for bloody public spectacles. Read more
The in the west wing of the former king’s palace, built in 1873 and after the Independence became a residence of the Bulgarian monarchs. The collection was started in 1892 but it pronounced as an independent entity.
It consists of more than 30 000 pieces of paintings, prints and sculptures with the emphasis of the works of the last two centuries. There are regular exhibitions of contemporary Bulgarian artists. Read more
St. St. Cyril and Methodius National Library /Narodnata biblioteka/ is the biggest library in Bulgaria and the oldest cultural institute founded in 1878 but the present house of the library was finished in 1953.
The building is constructed in neoclassical style and the monument of the holy brothers Cyril and Methodius – the creators of the Cyrillic Alphabet – is inseparable part of it.
There are valuable collections of old manuscripts, rare printed books, academic literature in all fields of knowledge as well as a large laboratory restoration and conservation of written material.
At the front are the monuments of the brothers Evlogi and Hristo Georgiev who have donated the land and the money for its construction.
Designed by the French architect Breansson, the building reached its completion in 1934. It spreads over 18 624 sq. m. with its 324 rooms. Read more
It is third in size of all the synagogues in Europe, with only Amsterdam and Budapest being larger in size and was intended to symbolize the Jewish contribution to the burgeoning Sofia. King Ferdinand’s presence at the opening ceremony was a clear demonstration of how much the Jewish community – which made up one fifth of the capital’s population at the time – was valued by the regime. Read more