Sofia is the capital and largest city of Bulgaria. It is located in the western part of country at the foot of the mountain Vitosha, and is the administrative, cultural, and industrial center of the country. Sofia got its present name in the 14th century after the name of St.Sofia Church, which means wisdom in Greek. On 3rd April 1879 the town became a capital.
The history of Sofia dates back to the 7th century BC. Sofia was originally a Thracian settlement called Serdica, named after the Thracian tribe of Serdi. Read more
The Church of St Nedelya /Tsurkva Sveta Nedelya/ with its huge dome is a typical example of Byzantine architecture. There has been a church here since medieval times, although the present building dates from the mid-nineteenth century.
The church was reconstructed and rebuild three times: in 1856 after an earthquake, in 1878 when the Russian architect Pomerantsev decided to rebuild it as a structure with five domes, and in 1925 after a terrorist bomb attack against the king when 123 people was killed but failing to harm the intended victims.
The church is 30 meter long and 15.5 meter wide. The highest point of the dome is 31 meter. Read more
The Church of St Sofia/Tsurkva Sveta Sofia/ is next to Aleksander Nevski Church. Sitting in its shadow, this brown brick church is the second oldest building in Sofia. In the 2nd century this was the location of a Roman theater used for bloody public spectacles. Read more
The name of Tsentralni Hali (Central Food Halls) comes from the famous Les Hales in Paris. It is built in 1909-1911 with more than 170 shops selling food.
Reopened in May 2000, after years of neglect and 3 years of restoration work, the Tsentralni Hali offers a clean, well-organised, modern version of the bazaar shopping experience. Read more
The main building of Sofia University /Rektorata/ is a spectacular architectural sight.
At the front are the monuments of the brothers Evlogi and Hristo Georgiev who have donated the land and the money for its construction.
Designed by the French architect Breansson, the building reached its completion in 1934. It spreads over 18 624 sq. m. with its 324 rooms. Read more