The city of Zlatograd is located in the heart of the Rhodope mountain. This is the most Southern Bulgarian city, only 3 kilometers from the state border with Greece. During the Middle Ages the village is called Belovidovo, and during the Ottoman Domination the Turks call it Darà Dere, which means millet gully.
From 1934 the village is renamed Zlatograd because of the golden tobacco grown in this region.
This is where the oldest church in the Rhodope Mountain was built, and also the first school which puts the foundation of the education activities in the whole area. Read more